If you’re like a lot of people, your pet is a huge part of your life. When planning your wedding, you might be thinking about how you could include your precious fur baby in the event. After all, most of your family members will be there, so why leave out such an important one?
Before you start planning out your pet’s role in your big day, there are a few things to consider and ask yourself:
- Is your pet well-behaved and able to be controlled around guests? Some pets, especially dogs, can get very excited and playful when around a lot of people. Is this going to pose an issue? However, smaller pets, such as rabbits and ferrets, are less likely to get out of hand.
- Will you be able to designate a handler? You will need someone who will be responsible for your pet throughout the time it is going to be there. Be sure you know there’s someone you can trust with this task!
- Which part of the wedding will your pet be involved in? Planning is everything. Make sure you know exactly which parts of the wedding your pet will be part of and think about whether or not it will work. Will he/she be walking down the aisle or in the audience, or just be involved in the pictures?
- Who will take your pet home once its part is done? Most people can only have their pets stay for the ceremony and leave before the reception, as it tends to be easier this way. Be sure you’ve arranged a safe ride home for your little one!
- Does the venue allow pets? This is a big one! Double check with your venue that they allow pets on the premises. You wouldn’t want this to be a last-minute issue on your big day.
Once you have thought about the points above, it’s time to decide how your pet will be included! Here are some ideas:
- Hound of Honor
- Ring Bearer
- Pictures – This could be in addition to any of the above ideas, but if you don’t think it’s a good idea to bring your pet to the ceremony/reception, you can still just include them in wedding pictures!
Whatever you do, don’t forget to dress your pet up for the big day. Try an adorable bowtie, floral wreath collar, or even a pet-friendly suit or dress – it will add to the cute-factor, and the memories will last a lifetime!